1. The spine consists of three areas: The lumbar area (lower back), the thoracic area (mid-back) and the cervical area (neck).
2. The lumbar area consists of five vertebrae, the thoracic area has twelve vertebrae, and the cervical area has seven vertebrae.
3. We start life with 33 individual vertebrae. Over time, certain individual vertebrae fuse together.
4. There are over 120 muscles contained in the spine.
5. The spinal column contains about 220 individual ligaments, which keep the vertebrae connected.
6. The spine is extremely flexible thanks to over 100 joints.
7. Over one fourth of the spine’s total length is created from cartilage.
8. Back pain is the most common reason people go to the doctor.
9. Back pain is the leading cause of disability claims in Americans.
10. The most common cause of back pain in America is car wrecks.
If you’ve injured your spine on-the-job or in a car wreck through no fault of your own, contact Caldwell Law Group PLLC now to learn what rights you have.